Chemical Name:




CAS #:



Bicyclo (2.2.1) heptan-2-one, 1,7,7-trimethyl- (9CI); Camphor (8CI); 2-Bornanone; 2-Camphanone; 2-keto- 1 ,7,7-Trimethylnorcamphane; 1 ,7,7-Trimethylnorcamphor
Exposure Limits:

NIOSH REL: TWA 2 mg/m3
OSHA PEL: TWA 2 mg/m3
IDLH 200 mg/m3


Plasticizer for cellulose esters and ethers; Odorant/flavorant in household, pharmaceutical and industrial products; Chemical intermediate; Ingredient in insecticides and moth and mildew preventives; Ingredient in salves and ointments.

Some consumer products that may contain Camphor include:

<>Personal care products; pesticides; nail polish
Routes of exposure: inhalation, skin absorption, ingestion, skin and/or eye contact
Symptoms: Irritation eyes, skin, mucous membrane; nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; headache, dizziness, excitement, epileptiform convulsions. Camphor is irritating to skin, upper respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract. Upon contact with the skin, this compound produces a cooling effect accompanied by a mild anesthetic action. Exposure to Camphor vapors and solutions has been reported to cause keratitis and a temporary loss of corneal epithelium. When ingested, this chemical was found to cause flickering, darkening and veiling of vision. Camphor is toxic and acts rapidly. Small oral doses of Camphor may cause a feeling of warmth in the stomach, while larger doses may induce nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Exposure to this chemical may result in dizziness, tension, hallucinations and mental confusion. The initial stimulation is followed by central nervous system depression, which may involve seizures, coma or death due to respiratory failure. Humans are more susceptible to the effects of Camphor than other species. There have been reports of Camphor poisonings and deaths, particularly among young children who have ingested nonprescription Camphor compounds.  Fatalities have also occurred as a result of absorption of this compound through the skin and by inhalation.
Target Organs: Eyes, skin, respiratory system, central nervous system
Effects of short-term exposure:
Effects of long-term exposure: Chronic Camphor poisoning is uncommon due to its high toxicity and rapid action. Repeated industrial exposure to Camphor has been reported to cause a loss of the sense of smell. In addition, this compound may cause kidney damage.  Rats subcutaneously injected with Camphor over an eighteen-month period were not reported to develop tumors. There are no data available on the mutagenic or reproductive effects on Camphor on animals or humans. In addition, there are no data available on the carcinogenicity of this chemical in humans.

Special Warnings:



Disclaimer: This factsheet has been prepared for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical evidence or advice. The information in this factsheet was obtained from a number of reputable sources, but it has not been reviewed for accuracy.

© 2001, Health & Environment Resource Center . The information contained in this factsheet may be printed for personal use, but may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without permission.